Crosstown High Administrative Specialist
Reports to: Executive Director and Principal
Application Deadline: Friday, August 18, 2017
Start Date: Friday, September 1, 2017
Crosstown High (CXH) is an innovative new public charter high school opening in August 2018 in Memphis’ city center. CXH is strategically and intentionally located in Crosstown Concourse, a 1.1M square foot vibrant, “vertical urban village” that houses retail, restaurants and residential apartments. CXH students will leverage the assets of this redevelopment effort through hands-on partnerships and academic projects with participating Crosstown Concourse nonprofit and for-profit organizations that span health care, education, and the arts, to name a few.
The idea for CXH was born from an application to the XQ Super School Challenge submitted by a cross section of Memphis volunteers (young people, parents, educators and community members). The Challenge invited teams to reimagine how high schools can better prepare students for college, the workplace and life.
CXH's approach to education is unique in a number of ways:
- Location: The school’s location in Crosstown Concourse will provide students with the opportunity to build rich and ongoing relationships with each other and the Crosstown Concourse community.
- Curriculum: CXH’s curriculum is project-based, which will provide students with real-world connections to what they are learning in school. Students will also have the autonomy to direct their course of study, allowing them to pursue academic work and projects that inspire them.
- Diverse by design: CXH will recruit its students from a diverse cross-section of the city to ensure that a broad range of students can take advantage of all the opportunities this school will offer.
Roles and responsibilities
CXH’s Administrative Specialist will provide clerical support to the administrative team in preparation for the school’s launch, and subsequently as the school opens in Fall 2018. This position also serves as receptionist and will be responsible for communicating effectively with a diverse population of interested parties (community-based partners, students, families, and staff). Other duties include, but are not limited to: answering phones, taking messages, directing calls, coordinating general school office operations, and greeting and attending to school visitors, community members, school staff, and student requests. This position will also have some minimal financial responsibilities.
The strongest candidates will have the following skills and experiences:
- A pleasant, welcoming, and professional demeanor
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills
- Proficient usage of Google Drive Applications
- Proficient usage of Microsoft Office Suite or comparable tools
- Comfortable using various social media platforms
- Ability to manage multiple calendars and schedule meetings and other events
- Assisting with special projects as deemed necessary: presentations, disseminating information, etc.
- Ability to develop and manage a filing system
- Detail oriented, organized, and able to make sound decisions
- Ability to communicate well with a diverse population of interested parties (community-based partners, students, parents, administrators and staff)Support Board of Directors’ projects by scheduling, creating agendas, collecting and disseminating documents in advance and taking minutes during meetings
- Ability to collaborate in teams
- A willingness and eagerness to learn new skills to keep up in a fast-paced environment
Education and Experience
- At minimum, an Associate’s Degree from an accredited college/university
- Prior experience in office management and/or as an administrative assistant preferred.
Salary and Benefits
CXH offers a competitive salary and competitive benefits package.
If your experiences and passion make you a great fit for the role, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us why you’re excited about this particular role and what you’ll bring to it. No phone calls please.
Crosstown High is an equal opportunity employer and actively invites a diversity of candidates regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or religion.